Random thoughts from a youth pastor in Boothbay, Maine!

Saturday, September 11, 2004

Whoa ... it's been a while ...

Wow, it's been a while since I posted. But I'm back, baby!

I can't believe it's September 11th. Went to soccer practice today; I'm helping with the YMCA kids soccer teams this year. Should be a lot of fun, although I haven't played in over a decade. Been a long time since high school! Sheesh ...

But it's kinda weird. Playing soccer. Eating at Blue Moon Cafe. Walking around like life's normal. Yet, for literally thousands, probably tens of thousands of Americans, today is a horribly painful reminder of the death of their family members only a few years ago. And meanwhile, we have the news talking about how Osama is still out and about. Nothing like hearing the guy who is responsible is still free to do his thing. Someday he will receive justice; it would just be a lot easier for those here on earth if some of it came a lot sooner. Oh well.

It's kind of easier to think about 9/11 in Maine. Yeah, it's hard up here, too, and it was a bad blow. But when it happened and we were living outside New York City ... every kid we knew and worked with had friends or family that were hit by it. People from our community who died in the attack. One of our teen's cousin was killed in one of the towers. What a nightmare.

I remember being mad that morning when I first got up and turned on the tv. It was my day off so I had slept in until after the towers got hit, but before they collapsed. I was mad 'cause most of our stations weren't coming in - we were in the broadcast radius of the twin towers broadcast antennas. Then I finally found a station that worked, and was shocked. Didn't seem real.

It's a poor reflection on our society that everyone's reaction was that it seemed like a movie. Are we that wrapped up in entertainment? I remember being told that I needed to watch such and such channel because they had the best footage with the biggest explosion.

Now we don't even see it anymore. We see images of those we are pursueing and our population grows angry that we are after them. Maybe if we saw the photos and videos, heard the screams and agony, relived the horror, than maybe we would remember why this pursuit is important. Their blood cries out for justice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home